June 18, 2005

This, butterfly.

First try:
I think

Start over:
I wish I could tell you how I felt when I saw that butterfly, or rather the shadow from his stained-glass wings. I wish I could describe how it rained and then the red glow from the sun through his wings fertilized a small seed of hope in my heart and how that made me smile half a smile.

Say it simple:
Until today, I didn't know butterflies had wings like the windows in a church.

Elaborate:
I don't remember what I was doing, or how the weather was or what I had for breakfast. What I remember is the flash of red, like a shadow you could see through, when it bounced off the ground and I followed it just in time to see a stained-glass butterfly eclipse the sun like an airplane in a movie about love.

Now I'm desperate:
Oh that I could put into words the picture I would have taken had I had a camera when the butterfly crossed the sun and left a trail of stained glass in the sand. In holiness, hope cast a kool aid colored shadow, and then...

Here, try this:
If you stood with the sun on your back and stared out at the sand, lost in thought. And if you poured strawberry kool-aid in the sand, or if you held a stained-glass window above your head, and if you blinked and it was gone; and the sand was sand again. And the sand wasn't red and wasn't magical, but you knew, regardless, that holiness had graced you and would again, with the next butterfly. Then, then you might tell me how to put -- that -- into words.

Thanks:

2 comments:

  1. Positively brilliant, and i feel all cool and tumbly inside. :) Each paragraph grabbed me differently, they're all winners! Can we pretend you stole that last one from me so I can collect royalty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me and your writing touches my heart. Thanks for sharing & for being you. I hope and pray that somehow sometime soon your half a smile becomes a giant grin, so wide that you almost feel foolish for smiling that big as if for a moment nothing bad or painful could ever touch you & even though you know that's not true, something has moved you so splendidly that you can't help but smile like that at least for a moment. That is what I wish for you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete