October 18, 2005

Far better it is to dare...

I thought this was pretty apt (which, I've just noticed, is an abbreviation for "appropriate") considering the hike I and a few friends (yes you) took on Sunday.
Thanks for pointing these out again, Azina. You can see the rest of them, which Azina wrote, at her website. Thanks for reading.

"#6
At this point I'm thinking it would be better to be up there with Dave climbing the wrong mountain than to be stuck here making plans about climbing mountains, but not actually climbing any at all. So what if you get all the way up there and realize you're one peak off, at least you've gone somewhere, given it a shot, instead of sitting around making plans that never pan out. Climb a few wrong mountains, eventually you're sure to end up on the right one, and even if not you'll have some great stories to tell of adventures with Dave."

This also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, which perhaps my friends think I quote too frequently, considering its duration. Our beloved president Theodore said it: "Far better it is to dare mighty things and win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Well said. I think I'm going to try again on Sunday. Anyone up for Mt. Si?

No comments:

Post a Comment