June 29, 2006

so these are summer nights

My night was like a summer movie soundtrack.

A girl with eyes like the sea wearing my sweatshirt.

Leaning over the edge of a very high bridge. Climbing in the girders.

Dropping pennies into the trainyard. Wishing on them.

Forgetting things and driving backwards to get back to what we forgot.

Stars on a curvy backroad. Long grass whispering when I pass.

Watching the ants steal my food from the floor. I didn't want it anyway.

There was this spider with long legs and a tiny body, the color of his web. I could hardly see him or his web. An ant walked into it. I waited for the spider to run down and capture his prey. He didn't. Instead he reeled the ant in like a fisherman. The the spider tied the ant up. That's when I realized he didn't have a web. He was hanging from a single strand, and he lowered a single strand like a fishing line. I think he knew the ants would be there, so he came by to set up a chair and fish for ants. Smart spider.

1 comment:

  1. A very fun night- we must kidnap you more often. We might even have a plan past taking you hostage next time too:P

    ReplyDelete