June 25, 2007

Staying in

The Bronx is a ten minute walk from where I live. I've yet to go there. I haven't visited the park near my apartment. I haven't eaten at the highly rated restaurants in my neighborhood.

Mostly I work or sleep. I'm a bit of an insomniac, so when exhaustion eventually drags me prostrate, I remain there as long as possible. Often I find myself waking up at noon or one. The only thing that lifts me from bed is work or outings with friends. The outings with friends are rare, so I get up for work.

Not to say I'm unproductive: during my sleepless nights I read good books and write.

Literature. I went to the Nuyorican Poetry Cafe on Friday night. I basked in the movement of people back and forth -- the men tended to slam about politics and the women about social injustice. I've just flipped through my music collection, looking for an artist with the passion or honest eloquence I saw on the Nuyorican stage. Bright Eyes may be the only comparison; but for his whiny scrawl, substitute the cursive rhythms of east coast rap.

Here's the poem I sketched the next night about one of the poets:
this is the persuasive
sermon ... this diatribe
from the bottle of this
Atlanta acreage, bared
like this woman's chest -- with
that honesty of address.

this is the finally
ill invalid facing
her demise with shocking
regard for these invalids.

her upheld hand cups a
lucent mantel ... and a
white knife she drives through her
leather coat. Her black-skinned
blood salves bored cancers -- red
coughs do not enrage by
vague triviality.
Her blood punctually
succors small kids and plants goats.

not for the lack of tithe
in her other hand, not
for the lack of glory
in blueprints and plans, not
even for my poems of
her anonymity
she slides to her knees, casts
the mantel of light -- she
crescendos. We, all and
I, hear as she bares her
palms righteously, holies
the mic. Her eyes beg. Her
tongue heaves. She breathes -- to old
tenements and invalids.

5 comments:

  1. i'm not commenting on your poetry because i don't understand it. I don't really understand any poetry unless it rhymes. like...

    Galen is in New York
    But he is still a dork
    because he works and sleeps
    and writes poetry that's supposedly deep
    he doesn't have any fun
    just like Atilla the Hun
    so his sister comes and makes fun of him
    while she thinks about eating a Pim.
    she doesn't have any rhyming ability
    not even rhymes about New York Nobility
    ...that was a rhyming faux paw
    rhyming ability and nobility..no daw!
    i hope that my poor, dear, sick brother
    is finding entertainment in a poem by the daughter of his mother...
    i'm quickly losing inspiration
    though i never had any...for your information.

    wow. so it's summer now! my first 3 days were terrible. i had an overload of people and almost yelled at all of them.
    I cantered a horse bareback and fell of off a horse for the first time in my life... because i was riding bareback... the first time didnt hurt, the second time I hit the metal fence. that hurt. but i was so tired that i hit the ground and burst out laughing. i was so tired that it was probably akin to what i would be like if i was drunk. like don't drink and drive...don't sleep and ride. hehe. then i went home and slept for 14 hours. yum. i got my SAT scores back. but im not telling you because they sucked. even you did better than me. Melissa got a 2240 and she's retaking them. but then again, she is insane. anyway, that's a hint... i didnt get a 2240. anja got 2 A-'s this year and she's freaking out. i tried really hard not to punch her lights out. :) ya wanna know what i got? A, A-, B, A, A. oh wait.. that's not that bad... how bout that. um anyway. all of my friends were making me feel like crap but i got over that. their standards are simply different than mine... like my standard of success is actually having a life and not doing homework all of the time! #1 on the list of brilliant things my brother has taught me! GASP! Maybe im just a genius because i can have a life and still get good grades!! aaaaaaa!! wow! So I'm not going to Young Life camp anymore. So I can come see you!!! I think, if emily's available i want to go see her too. or maybe i'll go see her first.. i dont know. i need to call her.

    So all you do is sleep and eat and work and sometimes go out with friends? i wish you felt better and had more energy. im sure you'll adjust in no time... i hope this randomly long comment cheered you up! Have you met any new and interesting people yet? I love you so much!!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, you'd think a poet with too much time on his hands would take a minute to determine the difference between prostate and prostrate. May you never have problems with the former and spend less time on the latter.

    love, your favorite critic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good catch on that typo.

    rachel, you may just have a knack for words, in the comedic sense. that was a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely the daughter of his mother. she didnt get it either. Except. oh horrors. is he seeing naked womens breasts in NYC??

    heres hoping he still loves us and knows we love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the way, her sats didnt suck. the above average wise humorous young woman just has way above average driven friends.

    ReplyDelete