July 8, 2005

America the Gray

I was having a discussion with Azina about fruit and it dawned on me how shielded Americans are. Everyone is protecting the general populace from all forms of knowledge and experience. There are thousands of varieties of fruit in the world, yet the grocer only sells ten. We get apples, bananas, pineapples, mangos, kiwis, oranges, grapes, pomegranates, some berries and the occasional apricot. How boring. When researching Thailand I learned there are fruits there that we've never tasted; that disappoints me. How much have I been sheltered from, living this "good" life in the US? In this land of plenty, of materialism, where I can have whatever I want, what are we missing?

Isn't there something amiss... doesn't it make you think, and even terrify you, that even the grocer is hiding something from you?

And this is just fruit. What else don't we know? We who are so superior?






(Don't any of you go and tell me that tomatoes are a fruit. They were omitted for dramatic impact.)

2 comments:

  1. Noooo!! But tomatoes are fruit! Okay, I'm done and I agree with your omission. And I feel special that I got to be a part of the awesome Friday night fruit discussion. We are totally the coolest people ever & anyone who didn't hang out with either of us tonight is so missing out. ;) I'm sorry you weren't out doing something fun tonight, but I did enjoy talking to you, fruit and all. And I think you're awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if after you ate fruit you caught the accent of the country it came from? I'd eat kiwi fruit a lot more.

    ReplyDelete