July 22, 2005

In reply to

Unfold the tattered pages, stapled at the corner. Smooth the wrinkles, spread the words, smell the anticipation. Curious, with my first letter, a letter, a real letter. Written in ink, a pen's ink, in a flowing script I strain to read: this is not Times New Roman -- no, this is human. And what will I find today? I'll hold my breath and see.

"You are free now, you've been set free, you've been liberated." Is this what you've been looking for? Permission? "Please," reads my narrator, "Please, show me Saturn's rings, the butterflies' wings and how the faeries in Neverland sing." Someone saw, someone read, and responded. I stirred the broth, with a dash of basil and passion and rosemary and love. And now the soup satisfies with love.

"Would you compare a friend to a soup?" But aren't all friend's soup? A delicious blend of 70% water and all of life's ingredients? And they're comforting on a dreary day, awful at the wrong times, and if you stick them in the fridge they'll congeal and become stiff to you. People are soup, and writers stir the pot.

If you'll believe it, writers season the soup; if you'll understand, the soup inspires the writer. But here's the thing: writers are soup too. Therefore some soups are writers. And this soup, that's just strengthened me... no, he's not a writer. He writes. And that is far better.

Do you want to be a writer, or to write? A haunting question. One that stills the pen and tosses me upon my bed, that rolls about in my head like the ballast in a ship. And this ship will not stop rolling till the ballast settles.

I'm wide awake. I'm not sleeping.

Do you want to know? Mount Rainier is growing. So is the moon. No one will believe me; no one agrees. I tell you they are! Bigger by the sunset. Bigger at midnight. "We flatten things, put them on postcards," states my little black book. We consider the horizon a wallpaper. But it's real. It's not the edge of life. It's getting bigger. Look up from your couch. Look at your wallpaper. You live inside this, but it's not just for decoration. It's getting bigger. I tell you, the mountain and the moon -- they're growing.

Can I say: in Neverland, the streets aren't numbered. If you want to find me, you'll have to search. You can't dial my number. You have to walk the cobblestones, between the ivy on the alley walls. And after you find me, I won't answer your question on the doorstep. You'll have to come in for tea.

3 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful writer my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to update my bookmark for your site, mostly because I resist change. And yet somehow I am still surprised when I click your name and a stark white page directs me to a new location. It has been a couple days since I first read this and still somehow I am sitting here trying to decide what would be sufficient to describe my wonder at reading this. I have for some time realized your skill at weaving words, but I think what delights me the most is your constant ability to amaze me time and again. I have been trying to decide what soup I think you are. At first I went with the cliche chicken noodle (homemade not that canned stuff) because you do have the delightful ability to make me feel better and were in fact the only person to call me last time I was sick. But that didn't seem enough. Then I thought chicken chili from Panera which does happen to be the greatest soup on the planet, but it's far too seasonal. And then I thought Italian wedding soup (having nothing to do with weddings). I think this is the perfect answer because it is a soup I have fairly recently gotten to know and I find it quite whimsical but also substantial. How I enjoy our conversations that make me laugh, but I also love how we can discuss some pretty deep topics. It's a good balance. And just for the record, as I just looked it up, wedding soup is about the marriage of greens and meat in the broth, not about the soup being standard fare at Italian weddings.

    Neverland sounds delightful. I would like to stop by for tea. :)

    Thanks for linking my site, that makes me happy. :) I will have to update my bookmark and link on my site for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More important than showing me, and all of us, is that you embrace the world you love. The neverland you hold behind those stained glass eyes, do not feel obligated to obscure it because it is different. Yes, I want to see too...but more then anything, I want to see you. The you that comes alive through ink and keyboard on parchment and screen. I don't want you to be afraid, to feel lost -- and maybe you don't and never have. If so, then just be encouraged. Above it all, I am just happy we know each other.

    ReplyDelete