August 4, 2005

Safe? Who said anything about safe?

I've been reading a book that is reputedly very good. It's about God, which always gets a book off to a good start. It's intellectual and scholarly, which I appreciate. And it's really frustrating. That's the part that has me writing a post now.

The book is entitled, "Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer. I'm sure many of you have heard of it, and possibly even read it. And it's been killer, let me say. I do appreciate it and would recommend it. Only it's not what I was hoping for. When I picked up the book I was hoping to learn a bit about God. See, I want to know God. It was recommended as a book that would tell me about God, so I started reading it. So far I've found out God cannot be known, God is a deity and God is triune. Now, I'm not being pedantic here: it's not that these attributes are rather elementary to most Christians; it's really that they're attributes. So far reading this book has been a bit like a friend telling me about a girl I should want to date, "You haven't met her, she's female and she's got a personality." Thanks... but does she prefer daffodils to daisies and is ice cream her favorite breakfast cereal and does Captain Hook have her sympathy?

Again, I do really appreciate having the attributes of God reiterated to me, but I was hoping it'd be more of a letter from a friend sort of book. I was hoping Aiden Wilson Tozer would have found out a bit more about him. I know some people have. It says in the Song of Solomon that the Bridegroom is "charming." Which raises the question: Would Jesus be the center of attention at a social gathering? I previously envisioned him as so unassuming... And I think a beaver in Lewis' stories may have another insight: When one of the children asks Mr. Beaver if Aslan is safe, Mr. Beaver responds, astonished, "Safe? Who said anything about safe!? Of course he isn't safe. But he's good." Good is such a hollow word until that scene. He's ferocious and wild and uncontrollable; and he's there to protect me. Hmm... now you have me interested. I think I'd like to meet this God -- I want to know more.

____________

Another thought Caboosing on the previous train:


At the end of The Last Battle, Lewis describes a scene in which a devoted follower of the enemy god is welcomed into Aslan's heaven. In my C.S. Lewis Survey at Whitworth, my classmates were up in arms that Lewis would be theologically inaccurate. I was annoyed then, but now I've decided what I wish I had said. "But let's just hope he's right: that sinners go to heaven, and that people who only half believe in God get to spend eternity learning to believe the other half. Perhaps he's theologically wrong; or perhaps our theology is wrong. Let's hope it's the latter, or none of us will be let into heaven."

------------------

It's been a while since I've posted. I've two excuses:
  1. I've been working on the template. What do you think? A bit dreary for summer, I'm sure; but still, any structural suggestions?
  2. I've been taking a sabbatical from the computer to give me time to see people in the analog world. I think I've seen a friend every day since two Saturdays ago. Quite nice, I assure you. I'm a little worn out from the 1600+ miles I logged on my Jeep in a week and a half, and harried from the lack of time to breathe, and a bit aghast at the gas money I've spent, but then, I wouldn't have it any other way. Only, I would prefer if social events would spread themselves out over the summer instead of getting through in two weeks. I've had hardly anything to do for two months, and last week I had to turn down four events/coffee-dates/parties in two days. I won't bore you with the details, but if you'd like to get together next week, I'll tell you more. That means, "I'd love to see you." Sharon, that last sentence was typed in your general direction.
I work tomorrow, and so I get up early. Like Matt early. So now I go. Stay well. Shalomle'atem.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you should confine your words to such a tiny box, it seems a shame. I really like the colors though.

    ReplyDelete