December 21, 2005

Scrooge you for judging Christmas gifts by their covers

So I don't like getting gifts, because I don't like saying thank you and then putting something in a drawer. Most gifts are so "it's the thought that counts" and that's annoying. Because if you have to say that about a gift, it probably wasn't a very thoughtful gift at all. I have all the stuff I need, and nearly all the stuff I want, and I really don't have very much at all, but I'm content. Most Christmases and birthdays I tell people no gifts -- actually, I always say no gifts -- but people are determined and still get me stuff. So every year there is a lot of awkward, "Thank you. How nice. Well, I've always wanted one of these, I think, sort of." People feel very good about themselves because they've discharged their gift-giving responsibility, and I'm left trying to find a place to put my new-fangled stuff that I don't want, don't need but must keep to avoid being "ungrateful." It's really one annoying holiday after another over here in Galenland.

I say all this to say that this year is different. I told everyone no gifts, like usual, but people were still determined. However, I have yet to receive a calculator or a Christmas ornament or a bargain-book on the History of Chariots. This year I've received three gifts before Christmas, and every single one has been thoughtful and, well, instead of saying "Oh, how nice," I've said, "Wow, I'm shocked. Someone got me something that A) Won't cause clutter B) I can use C) I actually like." So thanks to those people. You're the chamomile in my tea.

Oh, and, can you believe it, someone I barely know gave me Blue Like Jazz. How the heck did they know? That just made my morning today. Cheers to you Cole.

6 comments:

  1. This so reminds me of Holden's skate episode in Catcher in the Rye. I find myself incredibly depressed when I receive gifts that are "not me." Every gift my dad buys me makes me hate him more. I know that he means well, but he simply does not know me. Selfish of me, I know.

    I, too, would rather not receive the gifts. A handmade card that says (not literally), "I care about you and I want good things for you" will suffice. I really don't need more "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a subscription to the New York Times actually. I like that paper a lot. Or the London Times.

    And Sherry, I agree about the whole handmade card thing. Two of my favorite gifts ever are, in no particular order, a painting my friend Amber painted. I saw it at her house, and then it appeared in my hands, wrapped up in paper on my Birthday. It was of a city, or a farmland, depending on my mood. And then there was the card Cari gave me. She painted a picture of me and her on it, and I loved it quite a bit actually. I still have both of those gifts. I like them, I do.

    Also, I've decided gifts are better from people you actually like. Cause then it means something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is time for Galen to live in a little hut at the edge of the world and write away in his little black book all about the horrid human race and then stare into space for hours on end and notice how the sky really is twenty shades of blue and thank God that he has a life to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't galen already do that?

    i went to the mall today. Two hours, two gifts and infinite amounts of frustration, heated face, and a "spa-on-the-go" girl trying to sell me nail and lotion products from the Dead Sea later...i think that...i think that...dangit people make lists okay? I care about you, I know you but I can't help it if I can't think of good gift ideas. And I still want to get you things even when you're 100% happy with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't get me something did you? We agreed we wouldn't. I'm going to kill you. I can't afford your friendship. lol. Well, if you really need a list, get me a new tobacco pipe. I haven't had a good pipe in months. And some Captain Black's Gold.

    We'll take the curvy road to some eeyrie atop the valley, and we'll look down at the lights like kings. We'll puff away the cold and we'll talk of jewels and treasures and a happiness no king before us dreamt of; for we're not them -- we're us, kings of Imagination, and there's no one in line for the throne.

    Yes... I think I'll get a pipe again. It's about time. You firefighter you.

    But if you get me anything Matt, I'll just have to beat you up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya, well you know what I hate about people? The people that when you give them a gift they say, "You got me something?! Oh NO!! NOW I'll have to get YOU something! Gee Thanks moron for making me spend even MORE money and making me feel guilty!" You know what I say? "Shut up moron! I just wanted to get you a stupid gift because I love you!"

    ReplyDelete