December 29, 2005

Another twist in the fabric of Galen's time on earth

An Army Recruiter called me tonight. He offered me: $4000 to join; $70000 for school when I'm done; all my current loans and my last two years at Whitworth paid for by the Army; guaranteed enrollment in the Advanced Individual Training course at the linguistics school at Monterey (one of the best in the world); guaranteed acceptance to Officer Cadet School; a commission as a Captain upon graduating Whitworth with my B.A.; guaranteed assignment in a linguistics related position; guaranteed assignment to the base of my choice (Italy anyone?); and I only have to serve two to four years after graduating from Whitworth. It's an incredible offer, but I feel like they're offering me a bribe.

So these are the questions mulling about in my head right now: If the Army is bribing me to join them, doesn't that prove them to be insecure about their cause? I mean, if they're willing to give me $200,000 to fight in the War on Terror, isn't it obvious they don't consider the war itself to be a compelling reason to serve my country? And if they're that insecure about their own cause, do I really want to devote my life to it?

The second question builds on the first: since I don't agree with their cause in the first place, and would be joining them purely for their bribes, that makes me a mercenary. Can I ethically justify being a mercenary? Especially when innocent people (and guilty people of course) will die because of my involvement? Is getting a full ride at college worth risking causing a human to die?

Then there's this: I'd have to skip out on working at World Vision, even though I've committed there. And I'd have to skip out on some dear friends I've made this year.

BUT... I could go to Whitworth, for free. I'd get free linguistics training, which is great since I can't afford MIT. I'd get to travel the world with the US paying for it. I'd get another $70,000 for grad school later. And I'd be an Officer, with quite the adventure before me.

What to do? What to do?

5 comments:

  1. Is it really free to be commiting your life to them for two whole years after college? You can't exactly just leave when you get tired of it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just waiting for steve to weigh in on this but the schooling is from the GI bill -- not really a bribe but a benefit that's been around a long time. It's all pretty standard stuff - don't really count on getting a base of your choice tho. And yeah, anything but free. How many years of your life where you have zero say in where you are or what you do?

    Not that God isn't sovereign over the military also...hummina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not true. Don't believe the military. If you're any good at what you learn while with them they lose your paperwork and you never get the promised money. Eventually after 5 or 6 years of fighting with them you just get out while you still can. Don't join the military just to get free schooling. If you don't want to go in even if they don't pay for school don't go in at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if "military" and "guarantee" are in the same sentence, it is simply not true. If you got 2 of those things, I would be shocked. Recruiters are paid to make things sound good and make you join. If they lie to you? ? ? nobody cares. what are you going to do about it? "oh no, you don't understand, my recruiter said..." too late buddy, you already signed the paperwork! all they care about are their ##'s, they don't care how they get them.

    oh, and this was steve, my internet explorer is all screwed up so it doesn't remember my usernames/passwords at all, no matter what i do, and i don't even know my username, hence the total lack of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my friends never received the promises his recruiter made to him. When he mentioned his great deal in boot camp, people laughed at him. Get it in writing. Ask around.

    And pray to know the will of God.

    ReplyDelete