March 16, 2005

who we know defines who we are?

a substance is composed of properties.

if the properties cease to exist, then so does the substance,

if a person's identity (physical plus mental plus spiritual) is a substance, then identity is composed of properties.

so what are the properties that compose identity? are they material? are they mental (knowledge, intelligence)? are they capacities (talents, abilities, gifts, skills)? are they relationships?

what if a persons identity is composed of the relationships they are a part of? then talent, intelligence and money mean nothing. identity is a substance composed of relationships: without relationships identity ceases to exist.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Azina's comment palooza. Well since I started with previous posts you may not yet realize the extent of my commenting, but I guarantee it's there. Okay so this is only the third comment in a row I've made here tonight, but that's kind of a lot.

    Anyway, there's a part of me that likes being identified by my relationships. When I was in elementary school, I did not. People would ask me if I was Raj's sister and I would be upset because I have an identity outside of my brother and I wanted people to realize that. Now, though I enjoy being known as Raj's or Ravi's or Amber's sister. Or as someone's friend. Someday I hope to be known as someone's wife and someone's mother. I think there is a certain beauty in being identified by those close to you. And with the relationships that are integral to your life, I do think a part of you changes when those relationships are changed or lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment! i was accepted to york university in toronto. i must admit i am very nervous and scared...but it will all work out some way or another. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete